Why register to vote?
Registering to vote allows you to participate in the electoral process and gives you the power to make a difference in deciding who will serve in elected office.
Registering to vote has never been easier or more convenient. You can register in person, or online, or you can download registration forms and register through the mail.
For help on how or where to register to vote, contact us at (847) 632-1774 or [email protected].
Permanent vote by mail
Never miss voting in an election because, with a mail ballot, voting comes to you! Voting by mail is safe, easy, and convenient. Your ballot arrives in the mail. You can vote in the privacy of your home, research candidates, and take your time to mark your ballot before mailing it back. Vote by mail is also convenient if you can't easily get to your polling place on Election Day.
You have several options to change your permanent vote by mail status, including:
Option 1: Online: You may opt-in or change your permanent vote by mail preferences online through the Cook County Clerk's Office website.
Option 2: By Mail: Fill out a form online and then, print, sign and mail it in. Opt In forms are available in multiple languages:
How to register to vote
You have several options on how to register to vote, including:
Option 1: Online: If you have an Illinois driver's license or state ID, you may register online through the Illinois State Board of Elections website.
Option 2: By Mail: If you do not have a driver's license or state ID, fill out a form online and then, print, sign and mail it in. Forms are available in multiple languages.
Section C of these mail ballot applications for the March 19, 2024, Presidential Primary Election include an option to opt in for permanent vote by mail, which is recommended:
Option 3: In Person: Eligible suburban Cook County residents can also register to vote in person with a certified registrar by going to:
- One of the Cook County Clerk's locations
- A village, city or township clerk, including:
- An Illinois Secretary of State's drivers license facility. You can register to vote when you obtain or renew your driver's license or state identification card at any of the license facilities.
- Registration is also available at other state government offices, including public assistance offices and military recruitment offices.
Check your voter registration
You can confirm your voter registration status on Illinois’s election website.
Voter registration deadlines
- Online registration deadline: 16 days before Election Day
- Register by mail deadline: Must be postmarked 28 days before Election Day
- In person registration deadline: Available up to and including on Election Day
For more information
For more information including permanent vote by mail, voting rights, voter qualifications, when to re-register to vote, and more, visit the Cook County Clerk's Office website.